Episódio Oriental : Readings in Indo-Portuguese literature
Edited by Maria Inês Figueira, Oscar de Noronha
9788190438919 | PB | pp. 176 | 2007 | Fundação Oriente
Episodio Oriental is a collection of lectures on the Goan contribution to the Portuguese language.
Ships in 2-4 days
Out of stock
Four and a half centuries of the Portuguese presence in Goa were bound to percolate through to all walks of life, from – politics to economics, from demographics to lifestyles, from religion to gender relations. Culture as a whole and literature in particular soon became productive fields for the exchanges that were taking place between Portugal and Goa. The present book reminds us of the “Oriental Episode”.
Much has been written and studied about the impact of the Portuguese presence on Konkani and other Indian languages existent in Goa; less has been reflected on the Goan contribution to the Portuguese language. It was with these core ideas in mind that Fundação Oriente decided to organize a series of lectures on Indo-Portuguese literature at its Indian Delegation in Punjim, Goa. These lectures are recorded in this book.
|Year of Publication:||
|Country of Origin:||
About the Contributors
– Alexandre Moniz Barbosa is assistant editor of Goa Today, Panjim, and author of Touched by the Toe.
– Bailon de Sá is a retired UNESCO Professor, author and former President of the Menezes Bragança Institute.
– Carmo D’Souza is a senior lecturer in law and author of several books, including Legal Systems of Goa and Angela’s Goan Identity .
– Everton Machado is a Brazilian professor, journalist and writer, working on his doctorate in Comparative Literature at the Sorbonne.
– Isabel de Santa Rita Vás is a senior lecturer in English and director of the Mustard Seed Art Company.
– Maria Aurora Couto has taught English literature in India and abroad and is the author of Graham Greene: On the Frontier — Politics and Religion in the Novels and Goa: A Daughter ‘s Story
– Maria do Céu Barreto teaches Portuguese Literature at the Goa University.
– Maria Inês Figueira works in the field of communication and cultural production in Portugal.
– Manohar Usgãocar is a senior advocate of the Bombay High Court, editor of Goa Law Times and trustee of the Vaikunthrao Dempó Centre for Indo-Portuguese Studies
– Martinho Noronha (d. 2004) was editor of Renovação/Renewal, Panjim.
– Nalini Elvino de Sousa is a lecturer in Portuguese and co-producer of RTPi’s “Goa Contacto”.
– Olivinho Gomes retired as Professor of Konkani at Goa University and is the author of several books, including Village Goa and The Goan Village Communes.
– Óscar de Noronha is a senior lecturer in English, translator and free-lance journalist.
– Pratima Kamat is Professor of History at Goa University and author of Farar Far.
– Sérgio Mascarenhas de Almeida is the Delegate of Fundação Oriente in Goa.
This book will be shipped in 2-4 working days. The time taken for you to receive it will depend upon the mode you choose, while completing your purchase. The rates applicable for each mode are different.
You will be informed after the order is shipped.
Shipping costs depend on the mode chosen, the weight of the item, and the distance it will travel to reach its destination. Shipping costs will be charged depending on the weight of the entire purchase (if more than one item is purchased). The same shipping mode will apply to all products in such a case.